Dear Members of Puglia Posse,

Welcome to the new forum design and upgrade. Please make yourselves familiar with the Puglia Posse Site Guidelines which can be viewed on the Welcome to Puglia Posse Forum under the pinned topic 'Site Guidelines'. After which you may continue to use the site forum.

Please take time to get to know how the new board works and please update your profiles.

Equally report any bugs or problems you have as soon as possible by using the contact us link at the bottom of the Forum Homepage.

Admin assumes that once you are using the forum, you have accepted the guidelines and respect them.

Many thanks.

Colleen

Bildy

Above Ground Swimming Pools - Any Advice Please

Hi all

I've seen some interesting posts about above ground swimming pools and would welcome some further information if anyone has tried above ground pools and has some experience and info to share. Im particularly interested in the more robust ones that are larger (i.e. metal walls and plastic pool liner) rather than the smaller inflatable ones, but all info would be gratefully recieved.

First of all, are the bigger lined above ground pools available for sale locally (anywhere that you know of between Bari and Lecce area basically) and if so, what are the prices like and how strong are the pool liners? My main concern is that the quality of the pool liners, do they get punctured easily, if so, can they be repaired or can you buy a replacement liner rather than the whole pool kit with pump etc? I have had a look at some in the UK and the ones with strong pool liners that are basically like tough but flexible lino and are unlikely to get punctured are several thousand pounds. I am not sure what's available in Puglia. Are the products similar or are other members with above ground pools using different types of above ground pools? I've seen some adverts for Auchan and Conforama above ground pools that are cheaper but as I haven't seen them first hand and wonder how strong the liner is? Won't it just get punctured pretty much as soon as you let a child and toy loose in it?!!! Apols for length of this email, any info/advice gratefully received. Thanks, B.

Hi not sure whereabouts you are situated but a friend of mine has an above the ground pool clad in stone, near cisternino, perhaps you would like to pay a visit. Would be happy to take you along to view it. It's not huge but does the job when your hot.

I saw some excellent pools in Leroy Merlin last year. With teak decking and the works. Looked really good quality. Perhaps they are on line? But I will state a price as my memory fails me.

Also found this photo on Puglia Uncovered. In order to have it, a DIA was needed from the council.

[attachmentid=114]

pool_medio_1_.jpg

Hi not sure whereabouts you are situated but a friend of mine has an above the ground pool clad in stone, near cisternino, perhaps you would like to pay a visit. Would be happy to take you along to view it. It's not huge but does the job when your hot.

I saw some excellent pools in Leroy Merlin last year. With teak decking and the works. Looked really good quality. Perhaps they are on line? But I will state a price as my memory fails me.

Also found this photo on Puglia Uncovered. In order to have it, a DIA was needed from the council.

[attachmentid=114]

Thanks Macy, that one looks amazing, takes above ground pools into a new league I think. I'd love to take a look at it but am not over until next month. Would you be willing to ask them for their views on the robustness of the liner if you get a chance please? I really have no idea what happens when they get damaged (or if that even really happens much in practice). It's just that the whole above ground concept is new to me, I am so used to tiled or cement type pools that I am having difficulty getting my head round the idea of a plastic liner, but they must work in practice. I am just trying to weigh up between really cheap and cheerful and what the hell if it breaks, or a decent quality above ground one, but knowing that the liner is robust enough to last. My fear is spending several thousands on above ground one that is 'temporary' only to find that it is so temporary it doesn't last five minutes because it gets punctured. That pool looks really good quality so it's probably a good robust liner I'm guessing. I am sure I am being over cautious, but it seems a lot to pay for something if it could go 'pop' overnight as it were, and if that's the case, better to save up for an inground one. I'll check out leroy merlin online. Many thanks. Appreciate such a prompt response.

I think even with below ground pools you have a risk of the lining coming away. I've seen one recently where the owner was told to leave the water in over the winter and in fact didn't. Now the lining has come away from the walls and it will cost about 1000 to repair it. So even below ground does not guarantee its durability, I would say it is down to care and good maintenance.

Thanks Macy, that one looks amazing, takes above ground pools into a new league I think. I'd love to take a look at it but am not over until next month. Would you be willing to ask them for their views on the robustness of the liner if you get a chance please? I really have no idea what happens when they get damaged (or if that even really happens much in practice). It's just that the whole above ground concept is new to me, I am so used to tiled or cement type pools that I am having difficulty getting my head round the idea of a plastic liner, but they must work in practice. I am just trying to weigh up between really cheap and cheerful and what the hell if it breaks, or a decent quality above ground one, but knowing that the liner is robust enough to last. My fear is spending several thousands on above ground one that is 'temporary' only to find that it is so temporary it doesn't last five minutes because it gets punctured. That pool looks really good quality so it's probably a good robust liner I'm guessing. I am sure I am being over cautious, but it seems a lot to pay for something if it could go 'pop' overnight as it were, and if that's the case, better to save up for an inground one. I'll check out leroy merlin online. Many thanks. Appreciate such a prompt response.

You will not spend thousands. You can expect to pay less that EURO 1000 for a pool measuring 3,75 X 6 m

Hi Bildy

You need to be aware that there are as many different configurations for above ground pools are there are for inground.

Livar is quite correct with his figures. Above ground, to be exempt from any planning regulations whatsoever, it has to be a structure which is non permanent so a tubular metal frame with a liner is the most obvious choice. This is something many people have for seasonal use - put it up when the weather is fit and empty it and store it at the end of the season.

Another type of above ground would be a moulded liner, which again can be emptied. Likewise a concrete panel with soft liner which can be dismantled at the end of the year. Once you start having something bult in above ground (such as the stone finished example Macy showed) or a fixed decking arrangement you need to go for a DIA from your Commune as it is no longer a genuinely temporary fixture, and some communes may also question the use of a moulded or concrete configuration in any case.

In broad terms however, something that is to be left to 'overwinter' is not a temporary structure in planning terms.

In practical terms I can only comment that a friend of ours had a tubular framed, above ground, single depth pool which was aboslutley fine for a few seasons and didn't cost the earth - all that was required was a good sand base to sit it on and average common sense that this was a plunge pool for keeping cool in, not something to chuck plastic (or any other) objects into or have lots of kids pushing away from the sides with their feet which would obviously cause undue stress on the side walls. It was used by adults only.

At the end of the day it's a case of "you pays your money and you makes your choice" - you need to be certain of your needs: the kind of use and abuse it will get, how long you intend to use it for during the season, who is ging to monitor its use (ie is it family use only or are you renting out). Chemicals and filtering may well still be required and if you get a load of "mucky ducks" in your pool who fill it with dirt from their feet - are you prepared to have it emptied and refilled on request every other week (been there done that as Macy can testify!!)

Plenty of research needed to help you make the right choice!

Hi Bildy

You need to be aware that there are as many different configurations for above ground pools are there are for inground.

Livar is quite correct with his figures. Above ground, to be exempt from any planning regulations whatsoever, it has to be a structure which is non permanent so a tubular metal frame with a liner is the most obvious choice. This is something many people have for seasonal use - put it up when the weather is fit and empty it and store it at the end of the season.

Another type of above ground would be a moulded liner, which again can be emptied. Likewise a concrete panel with soft liner which can be dismantled at the end of the year. Once you start having something bult in above ground (such as the stone finished example Macy showed) or a fixed decking arrangement you need to go for a DIA from your Commune as it is no longer a genuinely temporary fixture, and some communes may also question the use of a moulded or concrete configuration in any case.

In broad terms however, something that is to be left to 'overwinter' is not a temporary structure in planning terms.

In practical terms I can only comment that a friend of ours had a tubular framed, above ground, single depth pool which was aboslutley fine for a few seasons and didn't cost the earth - all that was required was a good sand base to sit it on and average common sense that this was a plunge pool for keeping cool in, not something to chuck plastic (or any other) objects into or have lots of kids pushing away from the sides with their feet which would obviously cause undue stress on the side walls. It was used by adults only.

At the end of the day it's a case of "you pays your money and you makes your choice" - you need to be certain of your needs: the kind of use and abuse it will get, how long you intend to use it for during the season, who is ging to monitor its use (ie is it family use only or are you renting out). Chemicals and filtering may well still be required and if you get a load of "mucky ducks" in your pool who fill it with dirt from their feet - are you prepared to have it emptied and refilled on request every other week (been there done that as Macy can testify!!)

Plenty of research needed to help you make the right choice!

That's really helpful thank you. I need to have a good look around when I am over. The ones I have been looking at in the UK are bigger than Livar's example (but thanks nevertheless for the info). They are about 10x5m and are at least over here, cost about four or five grand without installation. I expected the prices to be the same in Italy. This is for the resin/metal wall, and plastic pool liner type = can still be dismantled I think but it looks like a hell of a lot of work to me. Still quite a bit of research to do I think! Very useful info about the planning permission as well. Cheers

Hi All

I have just completed installation of a GRE above ground pool, 10 x 5.5m. The pools are readily available, however the size of package will mean you need a fairly good sized truck, The pool in question weighted in at almost 600 Kilos, made the mistake of trying to pick up from Lecce, took one look and ended up getting delivered. Total cost was good including the delivery. http://www.poolzenspa.com lists a large number of them. If need any help let me know, lady by the name of Sophie is very professional and speaks fairly good English.

In terms of filling and treatment we had about 10 deliveries of water from local supplier, quicker and cheaperthan using the pump and our own water. Am treating with minimal Chlorine and am using a device called a Floattron.

Phil

hi phil, can i ask what the delivery charge came too, as the quote for the pool weight 208kg, came to 599 and the shipping estimate 325€ seems a bit on the high side, cheers ceglie

We boutht one last year from Auchan. € 990 delivered. Measure appr 3,75 x 6. It was hell to assemble in 28 degrees. AND we did what we are not supposed to do, emtying it and covered ut up with tarpaulin. The wind took the tarp. the second day, and the liner the third. Then the walls came in. (it need to be filled at all times, to hold the outward pressure). We packed it away for the winter and reerected it this summer. Now it stands with water in it, cowered under another tarpaulin wich is better secured. If it is ok, we will not know before we return in September.

If I had known what I know today, maybe a smaller even cheaper pool would be a better option.

Hi, Perhaps you might not still have the same pool, as you posted quite a few years ago but we have a similar one to yours and we where wondering how we clean out the water from the bottom of the pool? Is there a pump or something we can use? Any advise would be most welcome. Regards Liz and Bob.

Is there no low level drain valve fitted?

All the Intex or Bestway above ground pools seem to have them as standard.