Dear Members of Puglia Posse,

Welcome to the new forum design and upgrade. Please make yourselves familiar with the Puglia Posse Site Guidelines which can be viewed on the Welcome to Puglia Posse Forum under the pinned topic 'Site Guidelines'. After which you may continue to use the site forum.

Please take time to get to know how the new board works and please update your profiles.

Equally report any bugs or problems you have as soon as possible by using the contact us link at the bottom of the Forum Homepage.

Admin assumes that once you are using the forum, you have accepted the guidelines and respect them.

Many thanks.

Colleen

Sign in to follow this  
rosie A

Car Insurance

We've decided it's about time to get our car(s) registered and insured here, but have found the insurance quotes extortionate, as we haven't been able to find a company which takes our many years no claims bonus (from Germany, so EU) into account. Does anyone know of a company who will do this?

I use Clements as the broker and have a policy with AIG through them and pay around €800 for my Fiat Multipla (third party cover). I have tried several local insurance companies and none work out any cheaper.

The one thing they all ask for is proof of no claims and only the official Italian layout of the document is acceptable to them.

So you need to ask your existing insurance company if they can supply you with " ATTESTATO DI RISCHIO" certificate.

Clements/AIG can do this and this year I asked them to supply me with one but even now with proof of 5 years no claim I could not get a better quote locally. They said I need at least 7 years before it MAY be better than my existing company.

Alternatively buy an older car that is registered ASI and then qualifies for cheap historic car insurance - typically around €200/year. Generally the car will be over 15 years old and no longer in production. Plenty of good low mileage Mercedes, BMW's, Lancias, Alfa Romeo etc. on www.Subito.it

I currently have 3 ASI registered cars and pay a total of €450/year for the lot through a broker in Fasano, also the road tax is either exempt or about €30/year depending on age.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I use Clements as the broker and have a policy with AIG through them and pay around €800 for my Fiat Multipla (third party cover). I have tried several local insurance companies and none work out any cheaper.

The one thing they all ask for is proof of no claims and only the official Italian layout of the document is acceptable to them.

So you need to ask your existing insurance company if they can supply you with " ATTESTATO DI RISCHIO" certificate.

Clements/AIG can do this and this year I asked them to supply me with one but even now with proof of 5 years no claim I could not get a better quote locally. They said I need at least 7 years before it MAY be better than my existing company.

Alternatively buy an older car that is registered ASI and then qualifies for cheap historic car insurance - typically around €200/year. Generally the car will be over 15 years old and no longer in production. Plenty of good low mileage Mercedes, BMW's, Lancias, Alfa Romeo etc. on www.Subito.it

I currently have 3 ASI registered cars and pay a total of €450/year for the lot through a broker in Fasano, also the road tax is either exempt or about €30/year depending on age.

Thank you Digger. I'll look into all those possibilities.

Now we know why those dinky classic Fiat 500s are so popular! Agree with Digger above Rosie although some years back I did get my no claims acknowledged by AXA when using their insurance here on transfer but not any cheaper than stated on historical forum posts. So worth trying Clements and Zurich or even Allianz with the link to Germany? We use a US broker/ firm based at a northern Italian airbase, which is an agency provider for forces and relative agencies that get discounts as part of their employment benefits which ironicaly is underwritten from UK. Still not that economical but with the discount competitive. I think I can remember someone mentioning another provider but it's not coming back to me at the moment (a constant struggle!) If I remember I will message you.

• Upvote 1

Now we know why those dinky classic Fiat 500s are so popular! Agree with Digger above Rosie although some years back I did get my no claims acknowledged by AXA when using their insurance here on transfer but not any cheaper than stated on historical forum posts. So worth trying Clements and Zurich or even Allianz with the link to Germany? We use a US broker/ firm based at a northern Italian airbase, which is an agency provider for forces and relative agencies that get discounts as part of their employment benefits which ironicaly is underwritten from UK. Still not that economical but with the discount competitive. I think I can remember someone mentioning another provider but it's not coming back to me at the moment (a constant struggle!) If I remember I will message you.

Thanks, Flora

This sounds very interesting, Will car dealers advertise whether a car is ASI registered, or is it just a question of asking around. It's the perfect excuse to buy an old Fiat 500.

If a car that qualifies for ASI registration is not registered it costs 200 euros for the necessary paperwork to be completed.

Car dealers and advertisers on web sites such as www.Subito.it usually state if it is ASI registered as it is a very good selling point.

As far as I read the government was going to scrap all concessions relating to classic cars and just treat them as any other cars

Why does that not surprise me........they probably need to raise more funds to pay for their pensions!

All that will happen though is that second hand car prices will probably plummet as people like me with a few "hobby" cars and car collectors in general will just sell them. No way will I be paying up to 8 or 9 hundred euros a year per car just to drive maybe a few hundred km a year in them.

Well Digger you know what it is like one day they say one thing and the next they do/say the complete opposite

Yes the reason for scrapping the classic car status and the benefits that come with it was a financial one

To give people an idea I just renewed , there is a young men who lives in Lecce who gets the cheapest insurance by searching online, he does any paperwork and charges 25 EURO, my new insurance starting 22 of December on a Dacia which I bought new in 2009 is 550 EURO third party, this is with full no claims, Clements were charging my 1200 dollars I think 2 years ago but comprehensive, I was told no need to display anymore as they can read number plates, I had already read this online, when my new documents turn up if there is a yellow slip I will stick in the window anyway costs nothing , the young insurance man will also sort out any accidents you may have he said, I dont plan to have any accidents what a nightmare that would be, one more thing my car is lhd, I think a right hand drive would be costly as left hand drive are in the UK, There must be a reason people bring British cars over but what it can be I dont know, the agro of transfer, the danger as you cant see properly, if its a model not sold here they are a pull. people I know have been pulled up several times in a rhd I have only been pulled up once driving at 2AM , Lecce plates they wave you on

• Upvote 1

Hi Peter, Could you share the details please. 25 Euro is a bargain for this service. I finally have my Italian number plate and can't wait to bin the German plate since my car has become a celebrity with the registraion number MERDxx.

• Upvote 1

They can scan the plates from a distance but we were pulled up a few months back in a fairly new LHD and having clarified all insurance valid, licence, ownership etc the official said the doc must still be displayed in front screen on right (passenger) side. It was a combination of local police with GF working together.

In 8 years of regular local journeys had to produce docs roadside around 5 times at least (one or other of us) granted most of those were in the older rhd but they are often on Brindisi road/and around San Michele to SV/ Mesagne spots, Ceglie to Francavilla road, Ceglie to Ostuni - I think I read last week they had nabbed over 100 without insurance at all.

Sounds like your area is a lot more lenient Peter.

can you speak Italian if so I can send his email to you or his mobile, I had to scan loads of stuff I cant remember what, for his service you need a post office bank card, I think you can load them up in a post office I did not have one and used a friends, I think you give him the details and he uses the number to pay online, I have now done it twice , you need proof of no claims driving licence car documents I do know that, he is very efficient and offered to swop my licence for an Italian one as well, I dont have his details to hand as a friend did it for me, I am am on facebook with him but just went through it am not sure which he is, he looks at all the companies and gets the best deal