Dear Members of Puglia Posse,

Welcome to the new forum design and upgrade. Please make yourselves familiar with the Puglia Posse Site Guidelines which can be viewed on the Welcome to Puglia Posse Forum under the pinned topic 'Site Guidelines'. After which you may continue to use the site forum.

Please take time to get to know how the new board works and please update your profiles.

Equally report any bugs or problems you have as soon as possible by using the contact us link at the bottom of the Forum Homepage.

Admin assumes that once you are using the forum, you have accepted the guidelines and respect them.

Many thanks.

Colleen

Lukeyork

Plants Requiring Minimal Tlc..

11 hours ago, flora said:

At work they are supposed to speak english to give customer service and complete documents. I don't give a monkeys which way but it does not work both ways thats the thing. Rather than patronise over things you really don't know in detail...had supper with the neighbours the other weekend by the way, oh is over at the other one right now helping with internet so not exactly detached.

Again. Nasty... 

I can only speak from our many weeks living at our villa and my friends Bnb, plus many weeks in northern Italy,sure you may well know better you live in Puglia afterall.

I find your recent replies rather immature to be honest, its a shame because you contribute a lot to here, generally in a posative manner. 

6 hours ago, SanNico said:

Back to the topic..... poppies, weeds, grass and coriander seem to require minimal TLC.  They're all growing very well at the moment.  I thought I had completed the final mowing of the season but the rain over the weekend has brought it all back.

We have moved on Luke, like I say I have my reasons - as you mention you have differing experiences to others. Immediate neighbours, friends, a number of colleagues, agricultural contractors, local traders ...we all communicate fine thanks.

Take your post in the swap shop section. Bizzare. 

I would hope you do communicate well, you live there afterall. 

I am under no illusions... When im in Italy it would be churlish to expect or presume others to talk english to help me, so im doing my best to inprove my Italian while working full time, looking after a five year old and helping my friends, one of who fell and broke his hip and knee at the ripe old age of 88!

I see you lot had more rain again today, i expect copious amounts of weeds upon arrival in a few weeks!  Any tips on which route to take from Bari airport to Francavilla?? Thinking A14 myself. 

To repeat again I don't expect them to speak English locally that is why we made an effort to undertake an NVQ in the language originally - It is practice and exchange that helps plus gets more tricky when the brain ages having been filled with all sorts of other stuff including other languages over the years. I have made various efforts many of which get knockbacks, are wanting to moan or are treated as supicious :) I tend not to be gushy prefer more realistic so people don't get an over rosy picture which can lead to financial heartbreak. Onwards and upwards!

Sorry, Forgot to mention that main Toll road from Bari (is that the one you mean?) some time ago both ways...it was great, made life very easy just watch carefully for the exit when returning to Bari airport.

More rain expected today so weeds all back again (one of those years in the weather cycle) It is harder work trying to upkeep a property here on a practical level. Assume that is when investing in a property manager helps (no I am nothing connected to that)  I must now rush around doing dogs, chores etc. before it tips...(not that I am complaining)

1 hour ago, flora said:

More rain expected today so weeds all back again (one of those years in the weather cycle) It is harder work trying to upkeep a property here on a practical level. Assume that is when investing in a property manager helps (no I am nothing connected to that)  I must now rush around doing dogs, chores etc. before it tips...(not that I am complaining)

Hope you got all done Flora, looks like it is going to hit us any minute now - unbelievably black cloud just to the south of us.

Yes thank you just back in by seconds! Expect you have the storm by now but realise they can be very localised. At least the rainwater collectors are topped up.

Came back thinking time for a nice coffee only to find the gas had run out! I got a scare earlier as I thought I was getting even more senile when the gas under the kettle was turned on but not aliight :unsure: aired the kitchen...now at least I feel less crazy as it seems it had simply run out. Always something...better now I have some caffeine in my system :rolleyes:

Once this has stopped, It will be a good time to turn out some of the flower pots and tidy up.

15 minutes ago, flora said:

Yes thank you just back in by seconds! Expect you have the storm by now but realise they can be very localised. At least the rainwater collectors are topped up.

We've had it, and it has stopped now.  Land pretty much flooded in parts, and pool well topped up.

• Like 1

Beautiful clear bright blue and sunny day having lost that heavy humidity for a bit thank goodness - I ended up doing the last of my strimming by head torch last night as it was cooler in the evening (the only way I could deal with heat from the engine over my organs!) Although it gave me an idea that I could strap on an ice pack around my ribcage before engaging...

Very sad to see Anthony Bourdain passing, still young but what a contrasting life...

Valerian, now there's another classic plant you see a lot by the seaside both in uk and here around San Domenico area. The lighter shades can be useful for tea and aiding anxious sleep - but the red form is slightly different and it can be invasive so place with caution.

I have put the wallflower seeds in a packet in the fridge Margaret for now, am collecting more seeds as I go - some lovely blue scented salvia clevlandii whirly blue...great for bees and butterflies.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flora said:

Beautiful clear bright blue and sunny day having lost that heavy humidity for a bit thank goodness - I ended up doing the last of my strimming by head torch last night as it was cooler in the evening (the only way I could deal with heat from the engine over my organs!) Although it gave me an idea that I could strap on an ice pack around my ribcage before engaging...

Very sad to see Anthony Bourdain passing, still young but what a contrasting life...

Valerian, now there's another classic plant you see a lot by the seaside both in uk and here around San Domenico area. The lighter shades can be useful for tea and aiding anxious sleep - but the red form is slightly different and it can be invasive so place with caution.

I have put the wallflower seeds in a packet in the fridge Margaret for now, am collecting more seeds as I go - some lovely blue scented salvia clevlandii whirly blue...great for bees and butterflies.

I adopted a 5.45am start Flora while doing manual work outside, by 11am very very hot, so the heat of a 2 stroke engine would not be welcome for you. 

The power of the sun especially at this time of year in southern Italy is pretty powerful to say the least. Looks like cooling off later next week with a few thunderstorms too. 

• Like 1

A potential solution to your recently planted shrubs could be these cool fired clay resevoirs that you can sink nearby roots, top with water and lid to cover, allowing plant to draw on moisture through the porous clay from a deeper level to support while you are not there. You can get clay spikes that do the same that fit wine bottles or plastic bottles on top but they need to go in fairly deep to be more effective encouraging a deeper more substantial root. Not sure how these would go down with the cows/goats though :) Happily this season has been fairly generous with showers so far.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, flora said:

A potential solution to your recently planted shrubs could be these cool fired clay resevoirs that you can sink nearby roots, top with water and lid to cover, allowing plant to draw on moisture through the porous clay from a deeper level to support while you are not there. You can get clay spikes that do the same that fit wine bottles or plastic bottles on top but they need to go in fairly deep to be more effective encouraging a deeper more substantial root. Not sure how these would go down with the cows/goats though :) Happily this season has been fairly generous with showers so far.

Interesting idea Flora, with the recent thundstorms and the ones forecast this week it will help them, we are back early August so will give them a decent water. 

What i did was saturate the whole area around them late at night just before we left, this should have kept them okay for a few weeks. Our cacti were doing good even flowering. I should post a pic of the stone tufo trough i carved for them. 

• Like 1

Now back to plants, Luke a useful one for you - I have tested those Anti Mosquito pelagoniums over the past few weeks and they are effective and very attractive, pleasant scent, requiring just a light watering while you are there to decorate the veranda. You can transfer into a moist sheltered area or just somewhere discreet on the terrace in a reservoir trough to see if they last. Not expensive but every little thing helps eh.

• Like 1

Hi Luke, 

I dont think Guara has been suggested to you. Check it out. I have fallen in love with this plant. It gives a profusion of long delicate stalks with red (or white) flowers for months over the summer and needs the same attention and water as lavendar and rosemary ie. none except a prune in spring. 

Tuks

• Like 1

I want to plant a mimosa tree about three meters from out front house, is this ok to do? We removed a large pine from the area when we purchased the house as the roots were lifting the patio. Thank you 

I'm no expert but I think Mimosa roots are less of a risk than pine trees.

I have had 2 Mimosa trees blown over (up-rooted) by strong wind so the roots seem quite fragile.

The further from the house the better though.