Dear Members of Puglia Posse,

Welcome to the new forum design and upgrade. Please make yourselves familiar with the Puglia Posse Site Guidelines which can be viewed on the Welcome to Puglia Posse Forum under the pinned topic 'Site Guidelines'. After which you may continue to use the site forum.

Please take time to get to know how the new board works and please update your profiles.

Equally report any bugs or problems you have as soon as possible by using the contact us link at the bottom of the Forum Homepage.

Admin assumes that once you are using the forum, you have accepted the guidelines and respect them.

Many thanks.

Colleen

KevandJane

New car registration requirements

I have found this article and wonder if anyone has more detail? We don’t live in Puglia but it is a long term aim  to drive down and spend summer, more than 60 days at our house, if this is a requirement then perhaps staying over 60 days won’t be an option? 

http://www.ansa.it/english/news/general_news/2018/11/08/60-day-limit-for-foreign-plated-cars_d1be2e53-5a6d-488f-bc7b-146000aa018b.html?fbclid=IwAR1v8KJ_gduxoiyFKCI7PPcyHRqkgwsD8L9-j-pNngI2o3IHdZ7Lhi8iP9Y

On 11/14/2018 at 8:48 AM, KevandJane said:

I have found this article and wonder if anyone has more detail? We don’t live in Puglia but it is a long term aim  to drive down and spend summer, more than 60 days at our house, if this is a requirement then perhaps staying over 60 days won’t be an option? 

http://www.ansa.it/english/news/general_news/2018/11/08/60-day-limit-for-foreign-plated-cars_d1be2e53-5a6d-488f-bc7b-146000aa018b.html?fbclid=IwAR1v8KJ_gduxoiyFKCI7PPcyHRqkgwsD8L9-j-pNngI2o3IHdZ7Lhi8iP9Y

It is a measure inserted in the Decreto sicurezza however it applies to people who are resident in Italy driving around in cars with foreign plates, 

Thank you for your response . 

As an aside, I was just wondering though, how it will impact on those who live in Italy part of the year and part of the year in the UK or elsewhere and to and fro ? Does it come down to if you are listed as resident  on the anagrafe ? I ask this as a friend had a place in Spain which he visited frequently and was stopped by Police equally frequently and had to try to convince the police he wasn’t resident to avoid hefty fines. 

4 hours ago, clint said:

It is a measure inserted in the Decreto sicurezza however it applies to people who are resident in Italy driving around in cars with foreign plates, 

I have noticed a huge increase in Bulgarian and German registered cars here over the past year or two and I know some of them are indeed being used by Italians.

Perhaps the government should look at the ridiculous costs involved in buying and running an Italian registered car, it is really just a tax on those that can least afford it.

21 hours ago, Digger said:

I have noticed a huge increase in Bulgarian and German registered cars here over the past year or two and I know some of them are indeed being used by Italians.

Perhaps the government should look at the ridiculous costs involved in buying and running an Italian registered car, it is really just a tax on those that can least afford it.

We're in the process of changing our number plates: a bureaucratic nightmare, as usual, but the most annoying thing is that we have to pay the PRA (passaggio di proprieta) tax, even though the car isn't changing owners! As you say, Digger, the cost of a car is way too high! (BTW, my sister-in-law, who has just lost her husband, also hasd to pay the PRA to get the car, which was registered in his name, changed to her name!!)

I agree it is crazy the amount charged to change ownership of a car sometimes it is more expensive than the value of the car.

Just to add to bad news lets hope down here they don't bring in the ban on Euro3 ( or 4 and 5) cars any time soon as they have  already done in the north