Dear Members of Puglia Posse,

Welcome to the new forum design and upgrade. Please make yourselves familiar with the Puglia Posse Site Guidelines which can be viewed on the Welcome to Puglia Posse Forum under the pinned topic 'Site Guidelines'. After which you may continue to use the site forum.

Please take time to get to know how the new board works and please update your profiles.

Equally report any bugs or problems you have as soon as possible by using the contact us link at the bottom of the Forum Homepage.

Admin assumes that once you are using the forum, you have accepted the guidelines and respect them.

Many thanks.

Colleen

Sign in to follow this  
Amluc

I 'Cancel Brexit' petition passes 1m signatures on Parliament site BBC News

Just seen this article on BBC website and wondered if any members of Puglia Posse who felt cheated at not being able to vote in the referendum wanted to put their names to the petition. 

There is no reason that I know of why any Puglia Posse member could not vote in the referendum.

If not being bothered to register to vote was the reason then that is really just hard luck and not in any way being cheated.

• Like 1

Over 4 million signatures in a couple of days...

Democracy- control of an organization or group by the majority of its members. 

Just over 17 million voted leave from a country with a population of over 66 million. 

Leave voters, please read that again as I know you just proof read while angrily preparing your  "will of the people" response! 

It amazes me that any person living in a democratic country doesn't accept that the truly "democratic" choice, now that we actually know what each option results in, (rather than misleading propaganda printed in gigantic letters on the side of a bus!) is to put that vote to the people again?

Unless of course you worry that tangible information and facts will swing the vote away from the fear and propaganda of the leave campaign! 

It's basically saying "well I believe in democracy as the result went my way. But let's just stick to that past result, we don't need any more democracy here thank you!" 

Akin to "free speech"  advocates who want to silence people that don't agree with them!

You imply that people who voted to leave the EU are not well informed or lack the intelligence to decide whether or not they want to be dictated to by an unelected body.........the WHOLE of the UK (above legal voting age) had the option to vote.....the majority of those who voted....voted to LEAVE not REMAIN in the EU......the current government are not abiding by the will of the people who voted......your argument doesn’t hold water...otherwise you could use the same argument when either Labour or the Conservatives win a general election.......if people cant be bothered to vote.....then they cant moan about the result after the fact.......when does it stop....when the REMAINERS win?? What then.....another referendum because the LEAVERS dont like the result........and the “over 4 million signatures” could be anyone....I personally hold 5 email addresses.....so technically I could have voted 5 times......there arent any controls on that petition.....

How could anybody who voted have been well informed? It's only now that the consequences are known. 

"dictated to by an unelected body" You're aware that the EU commission can not actually pass laws? They are voted on by the governments of member states and in every instance of legislation being passed in the history of the EU, Britain voted in favour of it. 

General elections... Don't we re-vote every 5 years?  Otherwise the Whigs would still be in government and people would be be telling me my ancestors voted for them and I can't change the will of the people! 

The actual consequences are unfolding due to an inept Government......it should have been a simple enough process....the majority of people who voted....voted to leave the EU.....that didnt mean pussy footing around, bowing and scraping to the EU...OUT meant OUT.....Shame on the elected elite not to implement it.

“The European Commission has the initiative to propose legislation. During the ordinary legislative procedure, the Council (which are ministers from member state governments) and the European Parliament (elected by citizens) can make amendments and must give their consent for laws to pass.”

Yes we do have a General election every 5 years......that has nothing to do with my point.....a minority want to revoke article 50....why....because they dont like the result......tough....they should have got up off their backsides and voted when they had a chance......

You state that Britain voted in favour of laws being passed......even more reason to leave.....these so called elected people do not follow the will of the people....they have their own agendas......look at the statistics....which towns/cities/counties voted to leave and then look at how their elected politicians vote within parliament.....

Just because people dont like the result doesnt give them the right to scupper what the majority of people who bothered to vote decided. 

26 minutes ago, The Waltons said:

The actual consequences are unfolding due to an inept Government......it should have been a simple enough process....the majority of people who voted....voted to leave the EU.....that didnt mean pussy footing around, bowing and scraping to the EU...OUT meant OUT.....Shame on the elected elite not to implement it.

“The European Commission has the initiative to propose legislation. During the ordinary legislative procedure, the Council (which are ministers from member state governments) and the European Parliament (elected by citizens) can make amendments and must give their consent for laws to pass.”

Yes we do have a General election every 5 years......that has nothing to do with my point.....a minority want to revoke article 50....why....because they dont like the result......tough....they should have got up off their backsides and voted when they had a chance......

You state that Britain voted in favour of laws being passed......even more reason to leave.....these so called elected people do not follow the will of the people....they have their own agendas......look at the statistics....which towns/cities/counties voted to leave and then look at how their elected politicians vote within parliament.....

Just because people dont like the result doesnt give them the right to scupper what the majority of people who bothered to vote decided. 

To be honest I am very confused on what the pro Brexit people want.  Is it "hard Brexit"? if yes why wasting everyone's time get up and leave e amici come prima. If it is we go out and you (EU) trade on our own terms, then sorry but no thanks and again amici come prima

As I said totally confused on what this "leave" means :unsure::unsure:

Just one thing  I seem to remember (probably I am wrong on this) a rule that if one is out of the country for more than 15 years one cannot vote or this does apply to general election only

To be honest I just wish for an end to this, is now getting too much and people still don't know where they stand one way or another

2 hours ago, The Waltons said:

The European Commission has the initiative to propose legislation. During the ordinary legislative procedure, the Council (which are ministers from member state governments) and the European Parliament (elected by citizens) can make amendments and must give their consent for laws to pass.”

Doesn't this just confirm what I said?? 

The commission can PROPOSE legislation that must be voted on by a parliament, elected by citizens.

"Dictated to by an unelected body " is yet more " leave campaign " propaganda. 

I suppose one good thing to come out of this whole fiasco, as you have said, is that it's made it very clear to people on both sides of the argument that the elected government do not act on the will of the people and do in fact follow their own agendas. On this we can all be united at least! And maybe that will change politics in the long run (highly doubtful!!). 

Please dont get me started on propaganda.....it was rife from both sides......it was like watching Dads Army.....we’re doomed......in fact....we aren’t doomed....far from it.....

I remember sketches by Jack Dee.....politicians are suits full of bugger all.......they are all snakes which ever side of the fence you sit/stand .......they cant be trusted and I dont think one party has ever rolled out their manifesto......

Like it or not.....well informed or not.....the majority that voted....voted to leave

Should we have a right to change our minds.....the argument that people didn’t actually understand what they were voting for...the question was quite simple.......

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

Answer Leave or Remain

The majority that voted....voted leave.....pure and simple

I wish, in my lifetime, I see a government that is for the people and not for egos.........

For many people now, whatever their political views, the overriding feeling is one of BREXHAUSTION.

It has been a fiasco from start to finish ...... oh we haven't finished yet have we ! !  :angry2:

• Like 1

Nice to see a bit of debate on here, it's been very quiet for a while.  Whilst I'm against it I wish they would just get on with it and let us sort out our own personal matters.  For me that means ensuring I can still live and work freely in Europe, not just Italy.

Whilst the politicians have been dilly dallying around it looks to me as if the country has gone to the dogs, but we only see what Rupert and friends want us to see.  I'm quite interested to see how the whole reduced immigration thing works out.  The 'problem' was never with European immigration so I can't see any benefits arising from leaving.  If anything it may just mean that the foreign workers will continue to come from far away lands.  Highly skilled workers will continue to come from Asia and unskilled labour will continue to operate in the black market.  The black market is actually good for the UK economy, if you're not legal you can't claim the benefits.  They provide cheap labour and keep the cost of your groceries down.

The other selling point was around refugees.  It doesn't matter what quotas were set, where a refugee lands is not the issue.  It's around who is prepared to smuggle them in and claim the daily allowances for them.  It's big money if you have a nice portfolio of slum housing that you can no longer rent to young Europeans trying to start a new life.  Take the cases of the local hotels.  They were working their fingers to the bone to make a few Euros profit per year.  Now they rent to the agency, put their feet up and make a nice tidy profit.  Watch Suburra, Blood on Rome to get an idea.  In fact, watch it anyway.  It's very good.

Saw a great banner at the London protest, which was a quote from David Davis from before the Brexit vote - "If a democracy can not change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy"