Dear Members of Puglia Posse,

Welcome to the new forum design and upgrade. Please make yourselves familiar with the Puglia Posse Site Guidelines which can be viewed on the Welcome to Puglia Posse Forum under the pinned topic 'Site Guidelines'. After which you may continue to use the site forum.

Please take time to get to know how the new board works and please update your profiles.

Equally report any bugs or problems you have as soon as possible by using the contact us link at the bottom of the Forum Homepage.

Admin assumes that once you are using the forum, you have accepted the guidelines and respect them.

Many thanks.

Colleen

paulc

Waste recycling

Hi All

Our home is near Cisternino and until recently, we used the central recycling waste disposal facility near the sports stadium, it has now gone!

My question is, does anybody know where it has moved to please?

thx

Paul

Hi Paul,

If I recall you are in the Ostuni territory, so you will be required to take your rubbish to one of their sites.

Cisternino has now a house to house collection, there is however an ecological centre across from the stadium. Some people have been asked to show their fiscal code to show in which area they live, others not. But you can only take recycled items here in any case.

Colleen

Ostuni will also only take recyclable items at the isola ecologica.  We have not found anywhere legally to dispose of non-recyclable waste.  We have a composter for food waste(provided by the commune), recycle virtually everything else and only end up with one very small bag of non-recyclable a week/fortnight which I put in a bin at a petrol station or supermarket.  Officially Ostuni will collect from your house but we have given up trying to get this to happen.  In fact our bins have been stolen waiting for collection and the rubbish emptied over the ground!  Ostuni had no replacement bins! If your neighbours have their waste collected you will have no problem but if like us the collectors do not come out this far, it seems impossible.  However, we have no problem taking large items to the isola, it is only the bags of 'indifferenziate' they will not accept.  We have seen them turning away very bemused tourists with bags of rubbish - this can only add to the filth we have in the countryside that I think is the biggest turn-off for tourists.  No point spending a lot of money marketing tourism in Puglia if they can't clean up!  We haven't been asked for ID at Ostuni isola but always have it with us.  Have heard that other ones do ask.

There is a weekly mobile rubbish collection system operating around the fringes of Ostuni.

A large multi compartment skip is placed roadside for the morning at various locations. A guy from the council supervises what is left there.

The rubbish has to be pre-sorted into bin bags before leaving it there, ie Plastic/metal, Card/paper, Glass and Mixed (indifferenziato).

I don't know the locations for each day but I do know that every Monday morning it is located at Cda Lamacoppa, just off the SP28 (road to Francavilla) and on Thursday mornings it is at Cda Cinera (SP17 road to Casalini) . 

I guess a full list of locations is available from the Comune.

I use this service every week and have never been refused to leave anything.

I have been refused indifferenziato at the mobile one on the Francavilla road.  Also he wasn't always there when he should have been and I must admit I gave up and go to the main isola on the Carovigno road, which is a ridiculous amount of miles to drive to do the recycling!

What is the card system Colleen? 

Galante rubbish collection is no longer manned but if you wish to put rubbish already recycled into the machine, that is to say, open the door...you need a card. I will investigate more fully next week if it is a specific card system or just the normal fiscal code card issued by the Inland Revenue equivalent here.

In Ostuni the mobile units had bins similar to this that took the blue health card but was manned and the man would put it in for you if you didn't have a card.  We are not residents and not in the health system here so do not have a card.  Digger - do you need a card? 

I understand that it costs the Commune to dispose of the rubbish and that non-tax payers should not use the facilities perhaps but surely this is better than the countryside being littered because there is nowhere else to throw it.  We pay our taxes, albeit less for rubbish being non-resident but very high taxes on the house for being non-resident.

Sorry - only just seen your post.

No, we do not need a card. all the locals just turn up anytime from 7.00 to about mid day and leave their sacks of rubbish.

Don't even have to put them into the skip, they council guy just indicates where to dump it all - 3 separate piles.

Just the glass he sometimes says to put in the skip, otherwise just leave it at the side of the road.

Thanks Digger.  I'll start going there.  I looked at the Commune website and it does say they take all rubbish - the only place that does.

Thank you to everyone that replied with help. We have managed to locate the Ostuni mobile collections and this is doing the trick plus some help from our friendly Italian neighbour.

Paul

• Upvote 1

Managed to get to the mobile collection.  Great - very helpful and took everything.  Very different to my last experience - must have caught them on a bad day.  Hopefully this solves our problems.

• Upvote 1