Dear Members of Puglia Posse,

Welcome to the new forum design and upgrade. Please make yourselves familiar with the Puglia Posse Site Guidelines which can be viewed on the Welcome to Puglia Posse Forum under the pinned topic 'Site Guidelines'. After which you may continue to use the site forum.

Please take time to get to know how the new board works and please update your profiles.

Equally report any bugs or problems you have as soon as possible by using the contact us link at the bottom of the Forum Homepage.

Admin assumes that once you are using the forum, you have accepted the guidelines and respect them.

Many thanks.

Colleen

On 16th of September it was 10 years living here, this summer a nice couple originally from Rome rented a house for Summer, they now live in Lecce and speak absolutely perfect English the woman was very stylish, you do not see many stylish women down here, she said 10 years I bet you have seen some changes, it got me thinking, when arrived I think some people were living in poverty  , its not like that now, few had a cell phone although lack of signal did not help but now everybody has a smart phone, all the old women showing off pictures of the kids, people used to pull weeds up to eat have not seen anyone pulling up weeds for a few years, I have eaten it at peoples house tastes like what I imagine seaweed tastes like, I said to the woman from Rome the people do not dress very smart down here, its true she said this part of Italy they do not dress smart , if a man goes to the local village and wears a blazer everyone does a double take, I went to the doctors one day and someone asked if I was the doctor, when I lived in Vicenza on and off everyone was so elegant , I remember we were going out and standing by the mirror and my girlfriend saying "we look fantastic lets go", Puglia and the north really are chalk and cheese, but maybe this is just Lecce I remember people in business suits in Bari, other changes is the shops closing half of all shops that were open when I moved here are closed, and a big disco is half knocked down, the people no longer seem poor but it seems to be shutting down, half the houses here did not even open up this summer, the next 10 years?, I dont follow the politics but I believe Lecce is left wing at the moment and even under the previous admin they wanted to use the house for asylum seekers this would kill tourism although there several Afro Italian families near bye and people dont seem bothered  

10 years.  Lucky you!!  After dreaming of moving to Puglia for the past 6 years, we are now one year away from making the move (from the U.S.).  We're heading over next May to look for an apartment, possibly in Porto Cesareo.  We want to test the waters before we buy, just to be sure that the reality fits the dream!!  We're so excited to start a new chapter in our lives.  

We've been following this site for quite a while and hope that, once we're situated, we can meet up with some of contributors to get to know them in person!!

4 hours ago, nancy said:

We've been following this site for quite a while and hope that, once we're situated, we can meet up with some of contributors to get to know them in person!!

Sounds good, although I doubt you will find many of us as far across as Porto Cesareo.

Although Puglia Posse  has over 2000 members I would estimate less than 50 are actually active members and most of these are located between Fasano  and San Vito.

*** Message to admin - if listed members have not been active for a couple of years should they not be automatically removed?

I've also notched up ten years now, with a year break in Germany.  Things have certainly changed.  I remember when I arrived reliable and affordable internet was an unimaginable luxury.  Power cuts were regular, the streets were covered in rubbish and plastic bags floated down every street.  Leisure was very affordable and renting holiday homes was a piece of cake.

Ten years on the rubbish is still a problem but nowhere near as bad as before.  We have recycling centres that are strict enough to make a difference to those who can be bothered to take their rubbish there.  Plastic bags are rarely seen.  Internet is amazing, comparable with Germany 5 years ago but at a fraction of the cost.  I find that leisure, mostly food and drink, have doubled in cost.  Holiday home owners are struggling as there is so much competition following the advent of AirBnB, although the quality of many houses leaves a lot to be desired.  The flip side is that you can find places for weekend getaways for next to nothing.

If I had to do it again I would move straight to a large town or small city.  We're trying to move to Brindisi at the moment to be close to work and something you could call life.  The dream of living the good life just doesn't work if you have to work as well.  If I didn't have to work I would choose somewhere on the Ionian, possibly Gallipoli, or to keep some kind of normal life I would choose Lecce.  San Vito is great for proximity to airports and decent towns but you always need to use the car.

Some things don't change though, there will always be chancers, con men and the self indulgent shop owners who believe they are doing you a favour to sell their overpriced goods and services.  I detest Amazon but sometimes I would rather give my cash to them.

We moved here  permanently in 2005 and the 2 things that I noticed as a big problem was the rubbish everywhere and the packs of stray dogs in towns. 

The stray dogs have definitely become less of a problem but there is still a big problem with some of the locals who have absolutely no regard for  the environment  when it comes to dumping rubbish along the road side . Hopefully the younger generation will be better educated and eventually it will stop.

Indeed internet was abysmal back then but it was not required for watching UK TV. A standard satellite dish and a Sky box was all that was needed to watch all the UK freeview channels . Then the TV companies upgraded their satellites to reduce the footprint of the signal so a bigger dish was then required until eventually it was not possible to receive anything by satellite. Luckily this coincided with the introduction of better internet providers and faster download speeds so now all freeview channels are available through, for example,  https://britishtv.club/

Lots of Brits have sold up and moved on in the past few years for various reasons and due to the poor exchange rate, and Brexit uncertainty, a lot fewer looking to come now. Other Europeans now seem to be the main house buyers.

11 years (12 next February) for us, rubbish still is a problem mainly from the people in town coming to their country houses and dumping bags full of their plastic plates etc  all over the place after their parties. Stray animals are still a big issue, animal welfare is still not a concept the majority grasps.

One thing for sure still happy to have bought out of town, after 20+ years in London the less cement and people I have around me the better

I agree with you Digger it seems Germans are the most active re buying and coming here on holiday.

On 10/9/2019 at 9:32 PM, Digger said:

Although Puglia Posse  has over 2000 members I would estimate less than 50 are actually active members and most of these are located between Fasano  and San Vito.

*** Message to admin - if listed members have not been active for a couple of years should they not be automatically removed?

Hi Digger,

It is a thought for sure.

I have had people come to me though after two years, saying I use to be a member, forgot my password etc. Plus of course there are those that look and do not contribute.

Must say though it is an idea that has crossed my mind many a time in the past. Anyone who has not been using the site for awhile could soon resubscribe.

Having looked at the admin site, I would need to look at each member and delete them individually for none activate use. Or we could create a list of those wishing to stay, which would be quicker for me, you could nominate them also. I would then compare that list to the members list in admin, and delete only those not on the list. We could leave it open for a couple of weeks, those who do not sign up will be deleted. And would have to reapply but would lose all their credits and would have to join as a new member.

What are your thoughts?

Hmmm ........ a bit more complicated than I thought.

If there was a dedicated section at the top of the home page where any one logging on to the site could register their intention to continue visiting the site, even in a non contributory way, and then after 6 months (?) close the list ....... would that work?