Dear Members of Puglia Posse,

Welcome to the new forum design and upgrade. Please make yourselves familiar with the Puglia Posse Site Guidelines which can be viewed on the Welcome to Puglia Posse Forum under the pinned topic 'Site Guidelines'. After which you may continue to use the site forum.

Please take time to get to know how the new board works and please update your profiles.

Equally report any bugs or problems you have as soon as possible by using the contact us link at the bottom of the Forum Homepage.

Admin assumes that once you are using the forum, you have accepted the guidelines and respect them.

Many thanks.

Colleen

Sign in to follow this  
Digger

Olive harvest

First crop of Olives picked recently, 8 crates (159 kg) taken to Frantoio and processed into 23 litres of extra virgin oil.

The acid content was 0.3 which apparently is good, and the yield was 15 litres/100kg ....... also good.

Anyone else doing their olives yet?

we have not started yet need to call the guy who collects our olives to see when he is going to start 

hopefully this year will be a decent one unlike last year 

I have pushed for our olives to be picked but they keep telling me to wait for the rains or for november, as tradition say so, that the olives get fatter. It is very frustrating. Have a lot to pick too. mind some are still quite green. Never really understand why on the same plot of land I can have one full tree of black olives and next to it, a tree full of green olives. I can only imagine they are different varieties.

Our neighbor says to pick early ( during October) for quality, and later ( November/December) for quantity .

We picked early this year (16/17 October) after a disasterous harvest last year (very poor quality). There were a small number of people using the frantoio when we took ours so we were not the first. However the local coop frantoio had not started

Around us preperations have started with nets going down but very little harvesting activity yet..

I believe the rationale for waiting for the rains is that it swells the olives, increases wieght and potential yield. If selling or using the larger commercial/co-op frantoio's who buy by/pay by weight then it makes sense. However, if a lower yield is acceptable and the oil is for own use then early picking can give higher quality and a mix of black & green olives is OK.

This year our yield was 56litres from 335kg and the acidity was 0.1%. For me quality is the main thing

Panner - did you opt for traditional cold press or the newer centrifuge system? Does either method give any noticeable  difference in quality/quantity?

The cold pressing system is more expensive I believe because of increased labour costs.

I suspect that it is the centrifugal system but all cold pressed  (max temperature was 26C) - the frantoio I use has a minimum 300kg requirement due to its - cost E50

I have heard of a traditional old style mill somewhere in the area - not sure where but it had a lower minimum and cost a bit more

Produced high quality, peppery oil. A bit cloudy (normal) which clarifies over a number of weeks/months as the very fine particles settle.