Dear Members of Puglia Posse,

Welcome to the new forum design and upgrade. Please make yourselves familiar with the Puglia Posse Site Guidelines which can be viewed on the Welcome to Puglia Posse Forum under the pinned topic 'Site Guidelines'. After which you may continue to use the site forum.

Please take time to get to know how the new board works and please update your profiles.

Equally report any bugs or problems you have as soon as possible by using the contact us link at the bottom of the Forum Homepage.

Admin assumes that once you are using the forum, you have accepted the guidelines and respect them.

Many thanks.

Colleen

peterw

What books are people reading?

I am currently reading "Vita's other world" a gardening biography of Vita Sackville-West, only just started but its nice and its interesting, before that I read "Murder in Matera" its not a bad book its about a women looking for the truth about her grandmother who arrived in America fleeing a murder charge, its spoiled a bit by her writing fictional bits to fill in the blanks, before that I read "America Before" by Graham Hancock" I have always believed the history we believe to be true about the world is false, one interesting thing  and this has been on the TV news is that beneath the Amazon rain forest is evidence of people living there long ago,in some cases cities, queued up I have another Vita book and one about Gertrude Jekyll , the Murder in Matera I bought be cause of a man who used to be on here writes a blog about Puglia and mentioned it , if you google about you will find the blog , if you watched Killing Eve the woman who is head of MI6 is obviously trying to look like Vita Sackville-west, the Murder in Matera books has bits about the grinding poverty of people in Southern Italy long ago, women smothering babies because better dead than live the life    

Never heard of Maida till now, and Maida Vale is derived from it,who would have thought after a pub name 

Just finished "Factfullness" by Hans Rosling. 

Highly recommended ...... It will change your view of the world.

Next one to start is Bill Brysons latest , "The Body, a guide for occupants" .

I have read all of his books at least 3 times, always amusing, entertaining and informative.

• Like 1

Digger - LOVE Bill Bryson's books!!  My favorite is Neither Here Nor There.

I just finished George Washington's Journey by T.H. Breen.  It's about how Washington visited all of the 13 states in order to solidify a strong central government.  Very interesting.  Also just read Murder at La Fenice by Donna Leon.  It's about a Venice homicide detective named Guido Brunetti.  Fun, easy read.  This one is the first in a series of 10 or 15 additional Detective Brunetti books.